• Log In

  • For Members, Incident Reports | 6 May, 2009 (19:37)

    Caution Needed In Sichuan After Three Violent Incidents

    We have received three separate, confirmed reports today of journalists being physically attacked in Sichuan. Nobody has been hurt but equipment has been broken. The details are below. Given the violence of the encounters and an apparent increasing frequency of reports, it seems the situation is becoming more volatile and we advise extra caution when visiting these areas.

    1. Katri Makkonen, a journalist with Finnish TV, was pushed and shoved while attempting to report in Fuxin, Deyang County. She said 10 people in plain clothes attempted to grab her team’s equipment and to drag the cameraman out of the car. The assailants broke a microphone in the scuffle. Nobody was hurt. The TV crew were followed when they left. “We almost lost our camera. It was very violent,” said Makkonen. “People should be very careful there.”
    2. Jamil Anderlini of the Financial Times reported two violent incidents in Sichuan within less than 24 hours. In the first, on May 5, his crew was stopped from reporting in Fuxin while attempting to interview parents of children who died in the earthquake. An unidentified man tried to grab Anderlini’s video camera, then punched him in the arm. The FT crew retreated to its car after being surrounded by 10-12 men, one of whom then tried to punch the Chinese news assistant through a half-open car window. Uniformed police eventually broke up the scene and the team was followed out of town.
    3. On May 6, the FT journalists arrived at the Mianyang government office to pick up its local reporting passes where they saw a local woman petitioning outside. When Anderlini attempted to film an interview with the woman, an unidentified man arrived and ripped the video camera from its tripod, tearing off the bottom of the camera. Anderlini asked the local propaganda office for compensation, but was told police would have to handle it. The team left the area. The propaganda office told the FT police could stop any interview for any reason, and that “the reason the police were so violent with us was they were trying to protect us from the petitioner.”